Tourism Minister Charis Theocharis and Deputy Minister of Tourism Manos Konsolas have released a set of earthquake instructions for tourists, after meeting with tourism industry officials on Friday.
Below is the full text of advice to tourists in Greece:
"An earthquake of a magnitude of 5.1 on the Richter scale occurred nearby Athens shortly after 14:00 today. There have been no confirmed reports of any serious injuries or significant damages to buildings.
An earthquake of this magnitude is common in Greece and all buildings are built with the ability to withstand these kinds of shocks.
Should another earthquake occur there is no need to panic. If there is a need for assistance you can call emergency services: 100 or 199 using your mobile phone.
When an earthquake occurs please follow these instructions:
If you are inside a building
- Remain calm
- Take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture (table, desk etc), stand on your knees and hold on to the leg of the table or the desk
- If a sturdy piece of furniture does not exist, stand on your knees in the middle the room, staying as low as possible and trying to cover your head with your hands. Keep away from large glass surfaces such as windows, or furniture and objects that might hurt you
- Do not try to leave the building
- Do not get out on a balcony, if one exists
If you are in a tall building
- Keep away from glass windows and outer walls
If you are in a shopping mall or a big commercial store
- Remain calm
- Stay exactly where you are until the tremble comes to a stop
- Don't get swept away by the running crowd which is moving unorderly towards the exits because there is a high risk of being trampled
If you are at an open space
- Get away from places situated exactly underneath buildings or from places where there are telephone or electricity cables
- If you are carrying a handbag, cover your head with it to protect yourself from falling items
If you are in a car
- Go to an open space and park the car somewhere where it does not impede the circulation of other vehicles
- Keep away from tunnels or bridges